Skyscraper

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Hwaro BBQ - Part 2

562 Little Bourke St
Melbourne 3000, Victoria
Ph:(03) 9642 5696


I was thinking of how I hadn't been to Hwaro BBQ for a while, and when I saw Mellie's post about it, I decided to organise a meal there. Little would I know that when it rains, it pours. Because in the space of seven days, I would end up eating there twice, not that I'm complaining as they do the best Korean BBQ in Melbourne I reckon.

What's the secret to their BBQ, nothing magical, just quality ingredients and the use of a real coal BBQ. Easy, but so effective.


The banchan here are pretty good too. I think they do the best kimchi of all the Korean restaurants I have tried. I haven't tried every Korean restaurant in Melbourne, so maybe there is better out there. However, I really love their kimchi and probably go through 4-5 of those little dishes by myself.


We always order an assortment of meats. They're all really good, but my personal favourites are the Beef Ribs, Spicy Pork and Beef Bulgogi. They also do some mean entrees like the seafood pancake.


The service here is both excellent and occasionally frustrating. Usually it's excellent. They are very attentive and help you cook and cut up all the meat. This is great especially but can be a bit strange at first as you're not used to it. But if you keep talking and not let it worry you, you'll really love just having the food ready to go when you want to eat. The frustrating part is that the staff really do speak very little English and occasionally it's very hard when you are asking questions such as "do you know whether the pork we ordered is coming or if it's been forgotten". But that is a small quibble compared to all the other great aspects of this place.

Atmosphere here is really good, with people chatting away happily while busily eating their meals with their hands. I'm pleased that the standards both in service and food has not slipped since when I first ate here near the opening of the restaurant. Prices have also stayed pretty much the same. This restaurant is definitely the place to eat Korean BBQ.

Overall Rating: 15/20, Excellent Korean BBQ.

Scores: 1-9: Unacceptable, don't bother. 10-11: Just OK,some shortcomings. 12: Fair. 13: Getting there. 14: Recommended. 15: Good. 16: Really good. 17: Truly excellent. 18: An outstanding experience. 19-20:Approaching perfection, Victoria's best.

Hwaro on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment