Skyscraper

Friday, October 02, 2009

Hellenic Republic - Part 2

434 Lygon St
Brunswick East 3057
Phone: (03) 9381 1222


I have been to Hellenic Republic for a lunch and it was so good that I wanted to go back and try more food. I went there to dinner with my Greek friend, to get his opinions on the place.

It was so busy that we were only able to snag a seat at the counter. Whilst others might not like this, I loved it. It afforded me the best view in the house of the whole restaurant as well as the kitchen. I even spotted Aaron from Masterchef working in the kitchen that night.


Last time, I tried and loved the Manouri cheese. My friend suggested a hard cheese this time. I forget which one it is, I think this is the Lathotyri. He said he used to eat this cheese on the Greek island where he lived and it brought him right back. It was a hard cheese with an extremely strong taste. I didn't mind it but didn't love it like the manouri cheese.


The Sausages tasted like a bratwurst and were really good. The lamb chops were amazing. The grilled flavour over the coals really made them taste extra special. I never knew lamb chops could taste so good.


Finally, dessert was a stunning Bugatsa. The semolina custard was so smooth and creamy. And the filo pastry, mmm, mmm, mmm. It was baked to perfection and crispy and light. The cinnamon and icing sugar topped off one of the best custard desserts I've tasted.


Service was very good, as we were sitting right at the counter so it was extremely easy to get the waiters attention. The ambience in the room was a wonderful buzzing vibe. People were laughing and thoroughly enjoying themselves.


Overall Rating: 16/20, Excellent food and I love the ambience.

Scores: 1-9: Unacceptable, don't bother. 10-11: Just OK,some shortcomings. 12: Fair. 13: Getting there. 14: Recommended. 15: Good. 16: Really good. 17: Truly excellent. 18: An outstanding experience. 19-20:Approaching perfection, Victoria's best.

Hellenic Republic on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment